Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Sumtimes Mak Errors


Proofreading…aaaahhh!

To proofread my own work, I usually have to set it aside for about a decade. Yep, I’m that blind to my own errors.

There are lots of proofreading methods, but this week I heard about a new one. Reading your manuscript in a different font.

Cool, right? And since I’ve made past errors on these posts, I thought I’d give it a shot.

The most common advice for proofing is to read your story out loud. I do this. And I’ve found that reading it as Christopher Walken works best.

Then there’s the method of removing yourself as author - putting your mind inside the reader. Okay, I rarely find typos, but dang that writer is good. I’m a huge fan.

I’ve also been told to read my book backward - last word first – Yoda-style. But if I’m putting myself inside the mind of my reader, it totally spoils the ending.

I’ve found the most effective method is uploading it to my Kindle. Reading it in book form raises my proofreading IQ. I can’t change the font type, but I can change the size. So I read it in large print while having dinner at 4:30.
                                                                                        
But now I’m wondering, should I proofread each manuscript in a font best suited for its genre?

Would this work for humor?

Thriller?

Literary?

Historical?

Horror?

Okay, whatever. I gave it a shot. If you find any typos here, remember, it’s not me...it’s the font.

11 comments:

  1. "And I’ve found that reading it as Christopher Walken works best..."

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four fonts walk into a bar.
    The barman says, "Get out! We don't want your type in here."

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! That was cute :-) I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished reading a manuscript (pdf) on my ereader. First time I've done this and it really helped me to assess it realistically (in my opinion!). In future, I'm going to do this with my own manuscripts. I was worried the page numbers wouldn't tally between the original and my Sony ereader, but they do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was actually wondering about getting my kindle to read it to me, but haven't tried it yet.
    Thanks Dotti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who's done this. My kindle fire doesn't have the voice option.

      Delete
  6. Loved the different fonts for different genres!

    ---Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Dotti! I'm a fan of send-it-to-the-Kindle. But having my Kindle read it me? I haven't tried that--and need to! I have, however, tried changing the font. It turns out alternative fonts annoy and distract me. Then I don't want to read--at all. You=reading as Christopher Walken=I so want to be the audience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool tips! I never would have thought of changing fonts. Great idea. THANKS Dotti!

    ReplyDelete